I managed to squeeze in a solo backpacking trip after all. It was a little late in the season, but I really wanted a chance to reset myself and there's nothing like three days of isolation to do it.
Day One:
| Vernal Falls, much more tame since my visit in May. |
Timeline:
5:30 AM: Left the house
11:05 AM: Started hiking
12:03 PM: Spoke to first animal (a squirrel)
12:58 PM: Arrived at Vernal Falls
3:30 PM: Last human for the next 24 hours.
6:00 PM: Set up camp
6:45 PM: Camera battery died
8:00 PM: Bed Time
Notes:
It was definitely cold, but I have some awesome cold weather gear. Going to bed early was a bad idea because I woke at 3am and there's not much to do at 3am in the woods.
Total Miles: 10.7
Beginning/Ending Altitude: 4800/8600
12:58 PM: Arrived at Vernal Falls
3:30 PM: Last human for the next 24 hours.
6:00 PM: Set up camp
6:45 PM: Camera battery died
8:00 PM: Bed Time
Notes:
It was definitely cold, but I have some awesome cold weather gear. Going to bed early was a bad idea because I woke at 3am and there's not much to do at 3am in the woods.
Total Miles: 10.7
Beginning/Ending Altitude: 4800/8600
Day Two:
Timeline:
11:00 AM: Began hike
3:00 PM: Ditched the pack
3:00 PM: Ditched the pack
4:30 PM: Made it to Toulumne Meadowns
6:30 PM: Stopped hike, setup camp in the dark
7:00 PM: Couldn't find where I hid my food
7:10 PM: Found my food
8:45 PM: Had to dig a hole (if you know what I mean)
9:30 PM: Went to bed later so I didn't wake at 3
Total Miles: 16.3
Beginning/Ending Altitude: 8600/9600
| There's Little Yosemite Valley |
| Day Three campsite: fire pit & great views |
Day Three:
Timeline:
7:30 AM: Woke up
10:45 AM: Began hike - almost all downhill, yay
12:00 PM: Camera battery came back to life
1:00 PM: Tired of peanut sandwich & mixed nuts
5:00 PM: Stopped hike, setup camp in the daylight
6:30 PM: Made campfire. Sweet.
Notes: In sore need of a shower. I went about as far as I was allowed to go to shorten the hike tomorrow. Camping has been great but I'm ready for civilization again.
Total Miles: 10
| What an amazing mountain range. |
Day Four:
Timeline:
6:45 AM: Broke down camp, anxious to get home
10:00 AM: Passed Vernal Falls.
10:55 AM: Got to my car.
Notes: The downhill was killer on the knees but it's easier than uphill. Choose Del Taco for my first real meal. I'd like to take that choice back
10:00 AM: Passed Vernal Falls.
10:55 AM: Got to my car.
Notes: The downhill was killer on the knees but it's easier than uphill. Choose Del Taco for my first real meal. I'd like to take that choice back
Total Miles: 9
Beginning/Ending Altitude: 7300/4800
| Half Dome |
No comments:
Post a Comment